Homework & Revision Centre
Research over a number of years in this country and other countries has shown that homework can make an important contribution to students’ progress in school.
Your child has access to Student Portal https://www.bromcomvle.com/, where their homework will be posted as per the schedule set out below. As a parent, you will have access to My Child at School https://www.mychildatschool.com/MCAS/MCSParentLogin where you are able to view the homework that has been set for your child. These details will be given to you when you child joins the Academy.
Students, who may have difficulty in working at home, will be encouraged to make full use of the study facilities provided by the Learning Resource Centre. There is a Homework Club as per the extra-curricular/enrichment timetable with staff available to support students.
Years 7 and 8
Homework for Years 7 and 8 students will be set weekly for core subjects and fortnightly for all other subjects. Practical subjects may set practical or written work.
Years 9, 10 and 11
Homework for Years 9, 10 and 11 students will be set weekly for all subjects. At peak times there may be additional homework set.
*Science – Triple Science teachers will set three times per week: 1 for each of the Sciences.
Years 12 and 13
Subjects are expected to set one substantive piece of homework per week, in addition to reading, note-taking, preparation for lessons etc.
It is recommended that Post 16 students should complete 2 hours of independent study per subject per week, in addition to any homework and private study work set by their subject teachers.
Purpose of Homework:
- To encourage students to develop the skills, confidence and motivation needed to study effectively on their own – to promote self-discipline and independent learning.
- To consolidate and reinforce skills and understanding developed at school.
- To prepare for future class work.
- To develop skills in using libraries and other learning resources.
- To extend school learning – for example through research and extension work, coursework, additional reading, use of resources’ only available outside school.
- To provide feedback to the students and teacher of the student’s knowledge, skills and understanding of work tackled in school.
- To manage particular external demands, such as KS4 coursework.
- To provide opportunities for developing the home-school partnership.
For details on how you can support your child and to see our “frequently asked questions”, please see the document below:
At Belfairs, we recognise that our students want to go above and beyond and have access to additional revision to further stretch themselves. To meet this need we have created a revision centre which will be uploaded regularly.
To access the revision centre your child needs their school email address and the password they have set to access the school computers. If they are unsure of any of this information, they should ask their tutor.