Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
At Belfairs Academy we have a wide and varied cohort with 9% of the students supported on the SEND register. We support these students in the four broad areas of SEND:
- Communication and Interaction
- Cognition and Learning
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health
- Sensory and/or Physical
Mrs Foster : SENCo – Mrs Long : Asst. SENCo
If you would like to speak to Mrs Foster or Mrs Long, please call the academy on 01702 509000
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Belfairs Academy aims to include all students, including those with SEND into the full life of the academy. Our strategies to do this will include:
- having high expectations of all students
- finding ways in which all students can take part in the full curriculum including sport, music, and drama
- planning out-of-academy activities including all academy trips and excursions so that students with SEND can participate
- setting admissions policy and criteria which does not discriminate
- planning the physical environment of the academy to cater for everyone
- raising awareness of SEND amongst academy staff (teaching and non- teaching)
- through a programme of training and information sharing.
- providing written information for students with SEND in a form which is user friendly
- using language which does not offend in all its literature and making staff and students aware of the importance of language
- Promote special educational provision for all students who have special educational needs
- Support a partnership with parents/carers, valuing their views and contributions and keeping them fully involved in their child’s education
- Offer a whole academy approach towards the provision of an effective education for pupils with SEND, which is endorsed enthusiastically by all staff
- Promote equal opportunities for all pupils to engage in a broad and balanced curriculum
- Involve the child in the decision making about his/her special educational provision
- Ensure that the success of all Belfairs Academy students is celebrated
All students with SEND are provided with a wide and varied curriculum in line with their non SEND peers and the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations. They are supported where necessary to access the curriculum, including Enrichment and personal development, with quality first teaching, resources and additional adult support which is different from and additional to that of their peers.
All areas of the academy are accessible to all stakeholders, reasonable adjustments are in place as required and there is good communication with students, parents and carers to enable student voice. We are compliant with the Equality Act 2010 and follow updates from the Government as they are published. Please see our Information Report and Accessibility Plan which supports this.
Belfairs supports the new NHS Emotional wellbeing and mental health service (EWMHS) for young people aged 0-18. For more information follow the link below.